Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

I hope everyone had a great Halloween weekend! As you can see from my lack of blog posting, I have been so busy!
OK, so the vote was in and pumpkin it is!  I have had quite a few requests this past month for pumpkin bread so I thought I would start there. But the pumpkin is not going to stop there. There will be lots more pumpkin to be had in my kitchen during the fall season, so stay tuned. Pumpkin overload warning!  I also have some delicious sandwiches, soups, salads, and football season appetizers I have been coming up with that are coming your way soon! This bread turned out so delicious! And the best part about it is your whole house will smell like Fall!


Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
makes 1 large loaf or 2 small

What You Need:
1/4 cup Earth Balance original butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice sugar, or regular sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp. apple juice (not from concentrate)
1 15-ounce can pumpkin
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
fresh grated nutmeg (about 1/4 tsp)
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (opt.)

Mix in a small bowl and set aside:
1 Tbsp. arrowroot powder or cornstarch
3 Tbsp. wheat germ
4 Tbsp. water

To Make:
preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 1 regular loaf pan or 2 small loaf pans.  In a standing mixer or with a hand mixer, mix together the butter and sugar. Add the apple juice, pumpkin puree, and the arrowroot/wheat germ/water mixture. 
In a separate bowl whisk all the dry ingredients. Add the wet to the dry and incorporate all ingredients well.  If using chocolate chips, fold in.
Fill the bread pans and bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out fairly clean. Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely before cutting into it. This is important. Be patient. If you cut it open too early it will be soft and wet and gooey. If you let it cool off completely it will be perfect! Serve with a little earth balance butter on top!


23 comments:

  1. OK...I NEED this like, right now. Seriously. I wish you lived closer, I would be stalking you right now!!! It looks AMAZING!!! I definitely have to try this one. OH MY GAWD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I need to make this for sure. Saving it right NOW! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. How perfect is that? I've never had choc chips in pumpkin bread, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic and delicious looking cake. Marvellous combination.

    Canned pumpkins are so expensive in Scotland, I guess I will just have to puree my own if I wanna taste of this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum looks great! Morgan- what kind of camera do you use? Your pictures always look so clear. Mine recently broke and I'm researching which one I want to get. My camera phone isn't ideal for food posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have stock in Xanthan Gum or what? You just want me to blow $11 on a big bag of it don't you???? I know what you're up to!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great but what does the Xanthan gum do for the bread? I've seen so many pumpkin bread recipes without it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa! Chocolate chip pumpkin bread!?!?! That sounds amazing! :) I love your blog, finding new blogs on MoFo is one of the best part of the month! You have a new follower now! Ill be visiting again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks absolutely delicious Morgan. Good job!! I love pumpkin and chocolate chips together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, chocolate chip pumpkin bread! I can just smell it now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another tasty treat. Wow, this might be my most favorite recipe of the day, or the week, or maybe the year!

    my blog, healthy flat

    ReplyDelete
  12. I HAVE to make this. When's the cookbook coming out? Right now I just have an increasingly crumpled and food stained stack of stapled together printouts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUMMY!!!! This sounds so good! I'll have to try this one out this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shen- HAHA! I know right. Well I SHOULD own stock in xanthan gum! lol Oh, just blow the 11$ on it. This is peer pressure here. JUST DO IT. it will last you forEVER! :)

    Laury- Trust me, I wish you lived closer too. Than I could tempt you will all my treats, and you could be my personal trainer. haha

    Foodfeud- The xanthan gum is not a MUST. It is opt. in this but I do feel like it just gives the bread a very slight improvement in texture. It just helps hold the loaf together so it doesnt fall apart as easy. BUT, it does nothing for the flavor. Just texture.

    Alex (Delicious Knowledge)- The camera I use is not expensive. Its something like $200.00. Its the Canon powershoot xs120 IS with 10x zoom and it has been very very good for me. Defitnitely does a good enough job without forking out the dough. :) I am not a photographer, just a cook. So I just wanted one that took decent pics. This one is inexpensive but still takes great pics.
    http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx120_is I have taken ALL of my pics with this. If I take them in good lighting they come out very clear. If they are ever less clear its because I took them at night

    Thanks to the rest of you for all your comments. I actually having some more pumpkin madness going on in my kitchen as we speak. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Morgan,

    Would whole wheat pastry flour substitute for white whole wheat flour without messing the recipe up?

    I also have whole wheat flour and white flour but not white whole wheat flour! :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A- Yes, whole wheat pastry flour can be used for this! Should work out just fine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay this looks so freaking good!!! I LOVE pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Morgan,
    Should I remove the loaf from the pan to cool on a rack or leave in the pan while it cools?
    Thanks!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Amanda! Let it cool for about 10-15 minutes in the pan. Then remove it and let it cool completely, the rest of the way out of the pan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! This recipe is exactly what I was looking for! I can't wait to search through the rest of this site for more amazing vegan recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. if you live in carlsbad the vons on alga has xanthan gum on sale for six dollars plus some change in the bake aisle with the gluten free products

    ReplyDelete