Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Dijon and herbed baked tofu in pita pockets


Happy Tues. foodies and bloggies!  Think you don't like tofu?  You have to give my new recipe a try!!  This is a delicious, quick, and easy way to prepare it! Perfect for sandwiches, salads, and pitas. Its got tons of  flavor and its very healthy!  It's also a great packable for lunches! Hope you enjoy!

Dijon and herbed baked tofu in pita pockets
makes 4-6 sandwiches or pitas

For the Dijon and herbed tofu: preheat oven to 450 degrees
1 Package extra firm tofu
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp. regular mustard
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3-4 tbsp. fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
1 tsp fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp dried thyme

To Make:
Drain tofu and place between two kitchen towels. Place a pan on top and let sit for about 20 minutes to drain some of the liquid from the tofu.  Slice tofu into 1/2 inch thick slices. Lay on a baking sheet that is lined with a silpat, parchment, or lightly greased. Generously cover each piece of tofu with the mustard and herb mixture on just the top side. Bake for about 15 minutes.



For Pita sandwiches:
Place a piece of tofu in the pita. Add some lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers,, sprouts if you have them, and finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a crack of black pepper.  These are also great on Ezekiel sprouted grain bread, which is how my husband had his.





13 comments:

  1. What a lovely marinade! I was just thinking about trying something dijon-y with tofu. Will try yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel my sinuses clearing just looking at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...this sounds awesome! I will have to try this out for sure. Double YUM! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I usually skip tofu sandwiches because they can be kinda bland .. but this looks like it's got great flavor to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I love flavorful tofu marinades :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe Morgan! I just bought some Dijon so I will give these a try. Looks so delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look amazing!v It is a great idea for packable lunches! I can never think up good vegan sandwich ideas...but of course you came through on it! You're amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! that marinade looks so good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious! Will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this was posted awhile ago - but I was searching for some sandwich ideas for my 14 year old daughter who has been vegetarian for 2 years now. She's a bit of a picky vegetarian - btw :-) I am always on the hunt for innovative recipes. She took this for school lunch every day so far this week (it made a lot). She had it on sprouted bread like your husband with a skim coat of hummus and a pile of sliced cukes. She keeps texting me how yummy it is...just wanted to share :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I am so glad that your daughter is liking it!!! Thanks so much for comment!!

      Delete