Thursday, December 2, 2010

Morgans Holiday Wellington


This was inspired by a dish sold at one of my favorite vegan restaurants, Native Foods, during the holidays. While I don't have their recipe, I had a good time coming up with my own version of what I thought it might be like. This is so good, and a perfect "main dish" for the holidays!



Morgan's Holiday Wellington
serves about 8
Printable Recipe

What You Need:
2 sheets of vegan puff pastry (Pepperidge Farms is good, you will need 1 box)
1 bunch of kale, washed, trimmed away from the stem, and roughly chopped
3 portabello mushrooms, wiped off with a damp towel and sliced
3 yellow onions, sliced
1 large sweet potato or Yam, peeled and sliced thinly into rounds
2 boxes of seitan (I used Westsoy brand)
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 Tbsp. (eyeball it) of poultry seasoning

To Make:
Start  the caramelized onions first. Peel and slice all 3 onions. In a skillet or pot, heat 3 Tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions, along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for about 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are darker in color (slightly brown) and have a sweet taste and very tender texture. While the onions are caramelizing, preparing the rest of the ingredients for the Wellington...

Start by prepping all of your different ingredients. keeping them all separate from each other.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat.

Start with the kale. Heat 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil to the pan. Add the chopped kale, and a pinch each of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove the kale from the pan and set aside on a plate.

Add another Tbsp. of olive oil to the pan. Add the sliced mushrooms, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute about 5 minutes until the mushrooms are softened. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.

Add 1 Tbsp of Earth Balance butter tot he pan, and add the yams/sweet potatoes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, and saute 5-10 minutes until tender, but not mushy. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.

Add the vegetable broth to the pan, with the poultry seasoning. Add the seitan, and let it simmer for about 15 minutes in the broth. Remove the seitan and set aside on a plate.

To Assemble the Wellington:
After letting the puff pastry's completely defrost, lay them out flat on a well floured surface and make a large square combining the 2 sheets together. I cut about 2-3 inches off of the top end and added it to the sides to make a wider sheet. Using a rolling pin, roll where seams meat to make sure they are closed up well.
Begin layering the ingredients onto the pastry sheets. once all ingredients are layered, roll up very gently and fold and close up all open ends.
Bake the wellington at 350 for about 1 hour. I took my out with 10 min left and brushed the top with a very small amount of melted Earth Balance, then finished cooking for the last 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes. Slice and serve!


9 comments:

  1. drool. your blog has me gnawing on my monitor

    ReplyDelete
  2. This meal looks so delicious. I think it is the perfect holiday meal:) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soothing, comforting, warming and downright good.

    healthy flat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't WAIT to try the holiday wellington! It looks absolutely decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any suggestions for a substitute for the mushrooms? my husband won't eat them, but I would love to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just recently gave up meat (October 2010) and I had no idea what I was going to make for special holiday meals. I'm so glad I came across this recipe because even though I ended up making a different type of vegetable wellington, I would have never even thought of making one in the first place! Thanks for the inspiration! (and the yummy recipes)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was delicious. I made it for Christmas this year, and loved it. Thanks for the great idea! This is going into our holiday rotation for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm late but just wanted to say that this was so delicious! Though I love Native Foods I've never had their Wellington so I can't compare, but this was easy to make and my husband and I loved it! Another holiday classic. Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete