Friday, January 7, 2011

Sauteed vegetable lasagna with herbed tofu ricotta


Happy 2011 all my Little House of Veggie readers! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and enjoyed lots of good eats and good quality time with loved ones! I was so unbelievably busy during November and December, but I am back and ready to attack with a brand new year full of lots and lots of brand new and crazy delicious recipes. My hope is always to come up with recipes that are healthy, cruelty free and that can fool the most carnivorous of folks. When I receive emails from you saying that your meat loving loved ones  have loved a dish from my website, I could not be happier.  Positive feedback on the recipes is the greatest reward for me! I encourage all of you to get more adventurous and try new things this year and experience even more of the benefits to living a more vegan lifestyle. So, to start off the new year, I am posting something that almost everyone I know loves, and that is lasagna. It is also the dish that I get the most scepticism on when I mention it is vegan, considering that typically lasagna is loaded with meat and cheese. But trust me and give this a try. Not only is it made with whole grain noodles, but it is hearty and filling.  And I promise you your taste buds will be happy also! Hope you all enjoy!


Sauteed Vegetable Lasagna
 with herbed tofu ricotta
serves 8-10

What You Need:
1 package of whole wheat lasagna noodles (you will need about 8 noodles)
1 eggplant
2 zucchini
1 box of frozen spinach , thawed. Squeeze as much liquid out as possible.
2  24-ounce jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce (look for one that is vegan and has clean ingredients)
1 recipe for herbed tofu ricotta (below)
1/2 cup vegan mozzerella cheese, grated (reserve for the top of lasagna)


herbed tofu ricotta with cheese and tomatoes:
1 block (12-ounce) extra firm tofu, drained
juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic minced
1 cup fresh Italian parsley chopped
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp sea salt
crack of black pepper
1/2 block of Follow Your Heart brand mozzerella vegan cheese, grated (or any other brand you like)
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes

Crumble tofu in a medium sized bowl. Add all other ingredients and stir to combine. Set aside until ready to use.

To Make the Lasagna:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Bring a large pot of  salted water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook following package directions, until Al Dante.
While the noodles are cooking, in a heavy skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and add the eggplant, zucchini, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute until tender about 8 minutes.
Add the jarred spaghetti sauce and stir to combine.
Drain the lasagna noodles and rinse with cold water to prevent from sticking.
In a 9x11 inch Pyrex dish, began assembling the lasagna. Start by adding a little of the sauce mixture to the bottom of the dish. Then add your first layer of noodles, about 3 noodles. Next add more sauce, then some of the tofu ricotta, and then some of the spinach. Repeat again layering noodles, sauce, ricotta and spinach. Top the lasagna with the last 3 noodles and add just a tiny bit of sauce to the top to keep the noodles moist. Cover the dish with foil and bake covered for about 45 minutes, uncover, add the additional 1/2 cup of grated cheese tot he top and bake an extra 10 mintue until cheese melts.  Serve with some fresh Italian parsley on top.

24 comments:

  1. Happy 2011, Morgan!

    Lasagna is my favourite dish of all time and this looks incredibly delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is weird...I make the same lasagna! Except I don't put the eggplant in there. :) It's yummy, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been intending to make a lasagna, but I haven't gotten around to it! This one looks super yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Your lasagna looks so good! I don't even remember the last time I had lasagna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 2011 to Little House of Veggies and my gorgeous daughter:) I love lasagna and your recipe looks so easy and delicious. I love the "Follow Your Heart Vegan Mozzerella Cheese".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe, as always! Happy New Year to you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe looks awesome! I love anything Italian. I am excited for you to share more amazing recipes. Yeah 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay Morgan! You're back -- I've missed you. The holiday season is crazy isn't it? This lasagna looks amazing -- I'll be giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have missed you!!!!! Happy New year, girlie!!!

    This is a good come back recipe! Love it!! Looked so much more simple to make than the Engine 2 vegan lasagna. What kind of vegan mozzarella do you use? My experience with soy cheese was not a good one. Maybe I need to try another brand?

    Happy and healthy to you and your family!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS--I sent my best friend to your site for your chocolate walnut brownies...she LOVED them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello friends!! So glad to hear from you all! Yes, the holidays took my regular scheduled life from me for a little bit and I am so happy to be back into the groove of things for sure!!!

    Peaceandlove- That IS weird! haha. We must be sending eachother lasagna making inspirational vibes. lol and yes, lasagna is always a good one!

    Laury- Hello hello my fave bloggy chica! Yeah this is a more simple and easy to put together recipe. If I have the time I will also make my marinara/sauce from scratch, I have a wonderful recipe I need to share! ZBut this is the usual, quick, I am a mother of three recipe! haha i used the Follow Your Heart brand mozzerella for this. I totally agree with you on the soy cheeses. Lots of them are not good! BUT I stir it grated into the tofu ricotta and it is blended with other flavors so it gives the lasagna that cheesy feel slightly without giving it the soy cheese taste. THATS the secret! :) And thanks so much for sending your friend my way! I love to have new brownie lovers to join myu club!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a lasagna recipe I usually use but I love that this one includes so many vegetables!
    Happy, healthy new year to you too

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year, Morgan!
    I haven'd had lasagna in ages. Those loaded with vegetables have always been my favourite. This looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year!!!

    I have a big backlog of your's and your Mom's (correct grammar?) recipes to get to in 2011.

    Adding halved cherry tomatoes to lasagna is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks girls! Shen- Ok lady, I will be waiting to see some of the results to your cooking on your blog! :) KEEP ME POSTED on the cooking adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks great! I had some amazing vegan lasagna recently! I need to learn how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haymarket- Lasagna= amazing and yummy so GET TO IT!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com

    I LOVE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY!!!! what camera and lens do you use? You're so great!!! I just found your blog and love it! I signed up for emails! Can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Tori! Thanks for stopping in. :) I dont use any type of fancy camera, and really have NO training or experience with photography other than practice. I use the Canon Powershoot SX 110 IS digital camera and take most pictures on the Easy and Auto settings. It is so funny how many emails I get on what camera I use because its not anything overly fancy.LoL. BUT I will say that if you want a camera that is a great bang for your buck, and takes really great pictures and is still very easy to use, this is one of the very best ones in my opinion. Here is the link to he camera info. Hope this helped!
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=canon+10x+zoom+sx110&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS410US413&prmd=ivns&resnum=3&biw=771&bih=408&wrapid=tlif12947229021251&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11283323593188616156&ei=WucrTYupF5S6sQOohO2RBg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CEAQ8wIwAA#

    ReplyDelete
  20. Talk about comfort food, this is such a classic, and sounds so good right about now! I've been on the hunt for a decent tofu ricotta recipe, too, so I'll have to give yours a spin next.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum:) That look so good! I'm gonna have to make that soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I recently made this lasagna from your recipe and it turned out delish! You are so talented in veganizing these dishes. I can't wait to continue trying your recipes.
    Maricela

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad hyou liked it Marcela! And thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete