Monday, January 24, 2011

Spicy Buffalo "chicken" wraps with Ranch




Hello Hello all! Hope everyone had a great weekend! So after a recent trip that I took to Native Foods to taste test their new Wild Buffalo Wrap, I was in love and I knew I had to come home and make my own Little House of Veggies version inspired by theirs. All I can say is that if you love spicy food, this meal is amazing and you will crave it again and again. I have made it (by request of my family) 3 times recently. We are not even close to being sick of it. I made my own seitan from scratch, but you can definitely get the store bought seitan for this also, or you could use Gardein vegan Chicken for an incredibly quick and easy meal! You all have to try this! Its that good! 


Spicy Buffalo 'Chicken' wraps with Ranch
serves 4-6

What You Need:
1 recipe Buffalo sauce, below
1 recipe Morgan's Ranch, below
1 batch of homemade seitan (recipe below) cut into thick strips, about 1 inch thick by 4-5 inches long, or store bought seitan, or Gardein vegan chicken
whole grain wraps
chopped romaine lettuce
shredded carrots


Making Seitan:
In a large mixing bowl, mix together about 5 cups all purpose flour and 1 cups white whole wheat, whole wheat pastry or regular whole wheat flower, and 1 cup of vital wheat gluten.
Mix the dry ingredients well, and then add in about 3-4 cups of water. Add slowly, and as soon as the mixture has come together in a nice ball that is sticky, but not sticking to anything. Knead the dough for a few minutes, and then let it rest for 10-20 minutes.


After letting the dough rest, fill a large bowl with water. Knead the dough under the water until the water is very white and milky. dump out the water and refill, repeating the process.  You will do this about 15 times until the water is pretty clear.  Your dough will look more like this when the rinsing process is done...

Make this into whatever shapes or sizes that you like. I usually make 1 large load that I can slice, cube, dice, cut into strips, etc.  I like to wrap the whole loaf up with cheesecloth to hold it together while it cooks.


Now it is ready to cook. Fill up a large soup pot with anything you want to cook it in. I like to use water with a touch of soy sauce and different herbs and spices. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours. Remove and let cool.  season with a pinch of salt and pepper or with whatever seasonings you will be cooking with.  Now you can dice, cut, fry, whatever you want to do with it. For this recipe I cut it into strips that were 1 inch thick by about 4-5 inches long.


Morgan's Vegan Ranch:
This is so easy! I make it all the time for dip/dressing/and sauce.
1/2 cup Veganaise (vegan mayo)
1/4 cup soymilk
handful of fresh parsley
1 tsp dried dill or 3 tsp fresh dill
1 tsp garlic powder
cracked black pepper

In a bowl add about 1/2 cup Veganaise (vegan mayo). To that add a handful of fresh parsley, a tsp of dried or 3 tsp fresh dill, 1 tsp garlic powder, crack of black pepper. Mix well, and then add soymilk to create the consistency of ranch dressing. About 1/4 cup or so. Taste and adjust seasonings.


Morgan's Spicy Buffalo Sauce:

1/4 cup Louisiana Hot Sauce
3 Tbsp. Earth Balance butter
1 tsp garlic powder

Melt the 3 Tbsp. of Earth Balance butter. To that add the Louisiana Hot Sauce and garlic powder.. Whisk well and set aside.


To Make the Buffalo Wraps:

In a bowl combine 1/2 cup flour, pinch of paprika, salt and pepper. Dredge the seitan strips in the flour mixture.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet (enough to just cover the bottom of the pan, 3-4 tbsp.). Pan fry the strips on both sides. Place the strips in the buffalo sauce and toss to coat.
In a whole grain wrap place lettuce, carrots, buffalo strips, and ranch dressing and ENJOY! Serve with celery stick, fruit, or chips.



36 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness-this is awesome Morgan:) I am definately making this for our Super Bowl Party. I use to make the wheat gluten when I was in college. It takes on the taste of whatever you cook it in. I am very excited about the buffalo sauce and your ranch. Great idea!! LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing!!! Ranch is one of my favorite, but I ever eat it anymore!!! You never cease to amaze me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Interesting seitan recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I always love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Morgan! And really interesting technique with the seitan that I've never seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg.. Morgan!! wow!! its Perfect ;) Looks soo good.I wanna eat mmmmmm awesome! I would LOVE it <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious:) I just made some seitan the other day, so I will have to try this recipe! I love louisiana hot sauce.... mmmmm:) And that ranch dressing looks yummy! I got some vegan "ranch" from the store, but it was awful! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you prep your seitan. I will wrap mine from now on too!
    This looks like something my husband would love!
    Awesome!
    Viv~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much for the feedback on the recipe!
    Vivacious Vegan- TRUST me when I say this is a husband pleaser! My husband loves it and has been overdosing on it! haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please don't tell me those are store bought Tortilla Wraps??? How lazy can you get????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahahaha! Shen...you are so funny! I know, can you believe it? Shocking right?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I made a big batch of seitan patties this weekend so this recipe came just in time. I copied your hot sauce seitan idea and made a buffalo salad. Yum! Thanks Morgan. Alex

    www.delicious-knowledge.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you liked it Alex! This would defintiely be great in salad form as well! :) Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My family would love this. I'm making it soon! I'm pretty sure I have a block of homemade seitan in the back of the fridge, too. If not, it's time to make more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum girl!! I love taking restaurant food and making home versions. I had to do that with my favorite tempeh reuben when Cafe Flourish closed down.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Christy! I HOPE you will share that reuben recreation of yours with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not only does this have a vegan ranch recipe, you show us how to make Seitan. Above and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just found your blog! Really excited bc although I am not vegan, I try my best to eat vegetarian/vegan 80% of the time! Thanks for the recipes!! www.thehealthyapron.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, now this is a meal that I could probably even convince my whole family to eat- Quite a feat indeed! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum! This looks so good! I love anything with spicy buffalo and ranch. Great idea for a wrap. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, you made your seitan from scratch! I am always way too lazy to do this.

    This wrap looks so delicious. I know I have already said this a thousand times, but can't you become my personal chef?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my god. I need to make these. I have never seen a vegan ranch recipe, and I loooove buffalo "chicken". Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw...thanks all for the comment love.
    Mihl- I fell the SAME about you!! So why dont you come and be MY personal chef!

    Olivia- If you love buffalo sauce you have to try this! Its amaze delish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks SOOOO good! I just had lunch, and I'm starting to get hungry again.

    If you guys want to check it out, http://www.draxe.com has some other cool recipes and ways to live healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How awesome are you? I really wanted to make homemade seitan this way before having to nix the gluten--love that you posted a tutorial!

    Even your "before" doughball looks beautiful! <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. Featuring this tomorrow on my Friday Five for good Superbowl Recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aw, thank you thank you my Most loved Fitness disher!!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks excellent - I'd love that with a caeser-y inside (maybe some anchovies too, but not here). Good catch on the MYO wing sauce - not many people know that pepper sauce + butter is the base for those.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! These are great. I already had some seitan I made earlier in the fridge. And some ranch and buffalo sauce in the fridge so I made them real quick for dinner tonight. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jeannette- So glad you made this and liked it! This really is one of my favorite meals EVEr!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ok, first of all everything on your blog looks amazing. I don't even know what to try first! How long will the seitan stay fresh in the fridge, and do you have a prefered method of storage?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Made this for a picnic dinner today. The buffalo sauce is delicious and I don't usually like buffalo sauce! I used the Gardein seasoned "chicken" and can't wait to try it in a few hours! I'm a brand new vegan (as in day 2 new) but this may be a go to lunch for me to pack for school and work. Thanks for the recipe and the awesome blog. Makes a whole new way of cooking and eating easy, fun and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. These are great.Looks like will be a yummy recipe to enjoy. I am a fan of special type of food and me searching from internet and other sources.
    become a personal chef

    ReplyDelete