Friday, February 11, 2011

*vegan* Chicken fried seitan with Biscuits and Gravy



Seriously...how good does that look! This is some awesome comfort food people! It is sort of my take on chicken fried steak with biscuits and gravy. Done way healthier though, of course.  I made my own seitan "chicken cutlets" which to me made this meal so extra delicious and amazing, but you could definitely  use Gardein brand vegan chicken scalopinni for this. . It would work great too. And how do you like  my little touch of spinach on the plate. Isnt that nice. LOL  Had to keep it veggified a little bit. 
Hope you all have a wonderful Valentines coming up! I will be spending some dinner/movie time with my handsome Valentine....




 ok now...on to the recipes...

Chicken fried seitan with biscuits and gravy
serves 4-6

For the "seitan"
My homemade seitan recipe, or Gardein vegan  chicken scalopinni. 
1/cup flour (I used white whole wheat) seasoned with a little salt, pepper and paprika (about /2 tsp each)
1 cup almond or soy milk in a shallow dish
1/4 cup coconut oil, or canola oil  (for pan frying)

Heat a heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat with the coconut oil (or other oil if using). Cut the seitan into pieces resembling chicken breast. Or if using Gardein chicken they are ready to go. Keep the cuts fairly thin. 
Dunk the seitan or Gardein into the milk, then inot the flour, then back into the milk, then back into the flour. (So we are doing a double dunnking here) to get a nice crispy skin when we pan fry. Place into the hot pan and fry until very crispy and golden brown on both sides.

Milk Gravy:
2 Tbsp. Earth balance butter
3 Tbsp. Flour (white whole wheat or any flour will work)
about 2 to 2 1/2  cups of milk of choice (almond or soy)
salt to taste
LOTS of pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme

In a saucepan, add the butter and flour. Whisk and let the "raw flour" taste cook out for a few minutes. have your milk ready and slowly start adding the milk, whisking the whole time to prevent lumps. Once mixed well, add the pepper (this sauce should e very peppery), salt to taste, and thyme. Let simmer and thicken.


  Adapted and veganized from a Paula Deen recipe

Biscuits:
makes 28

What You Need: 
2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast (or 1 packet) 
1/2 cup warm water
2 Tbsp evaporated cane juice sugar (or regular sugar would work here)
2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cups coconut oil (not melted)
2 cups almond milk plus 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

To Make:
 Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease with a little coconut oil 2 large rectangular pyrex dishes. 
In a bowl, mix the milk and the apple cider vinegar. In a separate bowl mix the water,yeast, and sugar. Set both bowls aside for about 5 minutes. 
Mix your dry ingredients. Cut up the cocnut oil into smaller pieces (like little marbles). Using a potato masher mix the oil and the flour to combine.  The mixture will be dry and crumbly. Stir the yeast and the milk into the mixture
Generously flour a counter top or flat surface. Roll ou the dough very gently (do not overwork the dough). To about 1 inch thick.  Using a round biscuit cutter (orusing a cup) cut out your biscuits. 
 Place into the greased Pyrex dishes, and bake for about 12 minutes.  Serve with butter and or gravy!

23 comments:

  1. Wow Morgan!! I think you will have everyone amazed by this. Looks so good and talented. I am craving some of those biscuits. Have a wonderful date night with Dave:) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't wait to make the chicken-fried steak for my love for valentine's day! along w/ the stuffed mushrooms from veggie-full :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just started reading your blog yesterday to get inspiration for good vegan food! i've been craving biscuits and gravy so i just might have to make this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't thought about biscuits and gravy for years!!! Looks scrumptious!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Never even had biscuits and gravy! What is my problem???? It seriously does look amazing! I want some biscuits right now!!!

    Have a wonderful night with your hubby! Your V-Day plans sound so amazing to me! I know you both will be eating well ;-)

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Outstanding Morgan! The very definition of comfort food in my book. Those biscuits look absolutely perfect, so flaky and dreamy. Whoa!!

    PS. Didn't know you were around Vegas! You'll have to give me some recommendations of new things to try next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look awesome! Have you tried making the chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon? That is what I feed my Texan husband when he's missing his chicken fried steak! Congrats on making the year mark. I love all of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all!
    Sarah- No...I am in Southern California. not Vegas. :) BUT I do go to Vegas pretty frequently...about every 4 motnhs. you got some good eats there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks amazing! Enjoy your Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, Looks soooo GOOD!! YUM!! Hope you have wonderful Valentine's Day ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks seriously awesome! It could totally pass as the real thing! Perfect for a skeptic, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, that looks so good! I love chicken fried anything! Yum! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks fantastic. Someone should've brushed those pesky spinach leaves off the plate before taking the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a thing for gravy, and no matter how many different versions I've tried, I'm always interested in testing out another. Seriously, I'm not above ladling it over pasta, either! This looks like it might have potential for the next meal...

    ReplyDelete
  15. this was fantastic last night! i subbed the biscuits for broccoli to make me not feel so bad about indulging once this morning came along ;) we made a bit more gravy than was called for and i caught my man eating it out of the pan after dinner was finished!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kelly- Awesome! SO glad you liked it! And love the idea to add some broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
  17. mm those biscuits look so chewy and delish! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! I love seitan fried like this. Seriously. I tempura fry it sometimes with sauce and my man loves it :) I will def. be making this soon...I love biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seriously so good! I made this for dinner tonight and everyone (5 year old, 4 year old and 2 year old) gobbled it up. This was my first time cooking seitan and maybe my first time eating it. Love! Next time I will try making the seitan from scratch using your recipe. Thanks for another really good one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @kmberren- Awesome! I am so glad you all liked it! Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can you use regular unbleached flour for the biscuits? I wonder if that would change the texture too much.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Dolores- YES, you can totally use the unbleached flour for these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by consuming coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete