Tuesday, February 1, 2011

English Muffin Sandwich with marinated tofu and herbed cashew cheese


Not only is this sandwich bursting with tons of flavor, but its also bursting with lots of nutrition as well. The English muffin is a fun change from bread for this. The marinated and dry fried tofu is infused with lemon, garlic, and miso. And the herbed cashew cheese adds an amazing texture and flavor to the whole dish and is full of probiotic goodness. I get a lot of emails from other parents asking me what kinds of things I give my kids for snacks and in lunches. This fermented cashew cheese is great as a dip for crackers or veggies or whole grain pitas  for young kids and for children's lunches, and they will never know they are eating something so good for them! It does take a little prep work to make a few of these things, but they will last you all week and it is so worth the effort! Enjoy and have a wonderful week!

English Muffin Sandwich
with marinated tofu and herbed cashew cheese
Serves 4-6

For the sandwiches:
1 recipe for herbed cashew cheese (recipe below)
1 recipe for marinated tofu (recipe below)
whole grain or Ezekiel sprouted grain English muffins
Sliced tomatoes
spinach

Toast the English muffins. Spread with cashew cheese on both sides. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on the sliced tomato and layer onto the sandwich. Add the tofu and spinach. Enjoy! Healthy deliciousness!

Herbed Cashew Cheese
Makes a few cups

What you Need:
3 cups raw unsalted cashews
1 3/4 cups water
1 tsp. vegan probiotic powder (about 6 capsules, broken open) (if you can not find vegan probiotic powder, this can easily be made without it.)

Soak the cashews for at least 2 hours, Rinse well. Place cashews in a blender with the 1 3/4 cups water and the probiotic powder. Mix in a vitamix blender until very smooth. Do not add to much water.  Place the cheese into a cheesecloth and then into a fine mesh strainer, cover the top of the cheese with cheesecloth also, and place the strainer on a plate or in a bowl. Place a weighted plate on top of the cheese and let sit over night to drain a little of the water and also to let the cheese ferment. In the morning, scoop the cheese that is in the cheesecloth into a bowl. At this point add...

juice of 1 lemon
1 green onion, white and green parts, chopped
large handful (about 3/4 cup) chopped parsley
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 tsp sea salt
cracked black pepper

Mix everything well and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Marinated and dry fried tofu
serves about 4

What You Need:
1 block of extra firm tofu
juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp miso paste
cracked pepper

Drain the tofu and slice about 1/2 inch thick. Lay out on a plate or dish. Whisk together all the remaining ingredients and pour over the top of the tofu. let marinate for about 1 hour. Using a non stick pan (because we are dry frying, meaning using NO oils) heat the skillet. Cook tofu on both sides. This can be done with a regular skillet but just make sure you use some oil so that the tofu doesn't stick.

17 comments:

  1. Wow wow wow! So impressed by this one, Morgan! Probiotic cheese? Amazing! That would be a fun new project for me to try. Also I love any tofu marinade that has miso. This sandwich has it going on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the cashew cheese. I've seen a few recipes that sort of scared me off. This is very doable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so awesome-I love it. I did my shopping and my cashews are soaking so I can make this tonight. Your Herbed Cashew Cheese looks beautiful:) Great job Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probiotic Powder??? I haven't even opened my bag of Xantham Gum yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep reading about cashew cheese, I suppose it's time I suck it up and make some. Also, I firmly believe that sandwiches always taste better on English muffins. This looks awesome, I guess now's the time to try cashew cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sandwich also appears to be bursting off the bun! Talk about loaded with deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morgan -- I learn so much from you! I've got some cashew cheese sauce I already made, but now need to look for some capsule-type probiotics (mine are solid black through and through). I've got to try what you have done here! Also -- miso in the tofu marinade? Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I'm making that cashew cheese asap! It sounds like it would be delicious on all sorts of different savories or thinned out into a sauce... Oh, the sky is the limit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bittersweet- I actually made cheesy noodles for my kids last night using it and thinned out the cheese into a sauce and it was SO GOOD! One of the best cheesy vegan sauces I have had! Its actually the next recipe going on the blog! :) I hope you try this! its really good! And now I have GOT to make those protein bars you made!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy!!! This sounds and looks amazing. I will definitely be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YEY!!! Morgan posted a new recipe!! I LIVE on Ezekial Sprouted English Muffins!!! My sandwiches are getting boring though. I MUST MUST MUST make this ASAP!

    I don't have probiotic powder?or maybe I do? Think I have the pills in my fridge. Woot!!! Love you girl! Always amazing in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that cashew cheese looks amazing! And that has got to be one of the best looking english muffin sandwich I've ever seen! Yum, yum, yum! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Morgan,
    I'm getting closer to making this yummy-sounding cashew cheese. I need some clarification on the overnight fermentation step, please. Is that overnight on the counter and not in the fridge?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi goghdutch! YES, that is on the counter top overnight! Hope it all goes well! Let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Morgan,
    I have everything I need to make this, but just noticed that you specified a Vitamix blender. I know those are clearly more powerful, but do you think my regular Oster will do the trick? (I just hate to waste the ingredients if it turns out to be a big mess!) BTW, you CONTINUALLY inspire me! I have loved every single thing I've made from your blog -- and my boyfriend is all about vegan dinners now thanks to your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummmy. The first picature is soo yummy.
    Looks like quite a lot of preparing but probably it is worth every second :)
    I must try this cashew cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Morgan,
    I FINALLY made this cheese! It really is delicious and creamy! So far I've just spread some on crackers. Yum! Mine looks a bit thinner than yours although I did not add any extra water when blending. I just now put it in the fridge for chilling so maybe it will firm up in there. Even if it doesn't, I still love it! I added some Herbamare and only had some dried parsley, but otherwise made it just like you! Thank you for this deliciousness! I will make this sandwich next!

    ReplyDelete