Monday, March 7, 2011

Stocking your healthy vegan kitchen

This post is coming from many many requests for help with shopping and stocking a vegan kitchen and pantry. Many ask what my favorite staples and essential items are. This post will hopefully be helpful to those who are newly vegan and trying to transition and convert their homes from what is has been to a healthy vegan, animal free and cruelty free home. This transition can take time and you wont be able to do everything in one day. Over time, it will be "out with the old" and "in with the new" and you will have a fully stocked vegan home for yourself and your families. These are just some of my staples and what I buy on a regular basis.  They are things I always have around, and then I purchase what I need to add to the staples to make meals and weekly menus. Please add in the comments section a few of your own essentials and favorites that aren't on my list. I would love to know! I am going to start putting together some menu plans that are based around this essentials list. You will only need to add a few items to the things you already have to create awesome meals  and these will come with a printable shopping list. Stay tuned! 

 image from here

Stocking your healthy vegan kitchen 
printable shopping list


For the pantry:
  • dried black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, lentils, quinoa, barley and brown rice.  Get these from the bulk section to cut back on packaging and also cost.  Package them in containers yourself or large class mason jars and label.
  • several varieties of whole grain pasta noodles or brown rice/quinoa noodles if gluten free
  • several jars of marinara sauce (look for ones with short ingredient lists)
  • whole grain flour
  • white whole wheat flour
  • Bob's Red Mill all-purpose gluten-free flour
  • raw unsalted almond butter, all natural peanut butter
  • tahini (for making hummus and sauces)
  • olives
  • nutritional yeast flakes
  • Nori
  • oatmeal
  • Bob's Red Mill Muesli (my fave)
  • evaporated cane juice sugar
  • Grade B maple syrup
  • soy sauce or Tamari
  • apple cider vinegar
  • Ezekiel or whole grain bread
  • canned beans for quick meals
  • potatoes and sweet potatoes
For the fridge:
  • unsweetened almond milk
  • unsweetened applesauce
  • Earth Balance vegan butter (I liked the whipped original)
  • Veganaise (vegan mayo) I like the one made from Grapeseed oil
  • Hummus
  • Salsa
  • Tempeh and tempeh bacon (lifhtlife brand is so good)
  • Tofu
  • 1-2 fresh herbs at a time
  • a few different varieties of fresh fruit (aside from avocados and bananas)
  • 4-5 varieties of vegetables for one week, depending on meals (aside from carrots, spinach and kale)
  • spinach and/or Kale
  • carrots
  • bananas
  • avocados
Other items:
  • extra virgin olive oil, grape seed oil, and coconut oil
  • raw cacao powder
  • vegan chocolate chips (most semi-sweet and dark chocolate is vegan)
  • chia seed powder (great vegan source of calcium)
  • raw maca root powder (full of amazing vitamins)
  • probiotic capsules (keep in refrigerator)
  • raw unflavored hemp protein powder


For the Freezer:
  • frozen mixed vegetable
  • frozen strawberries and berries for smoothies
  • frozen ripe bananas
  • several varieties of raw nuts kept in the freezer for freshness. I always have almonds, pine nuts walnuts and cashews
  • ground flaxseeds
Spices I Use the Most:
  • cumin
  • coriander
  • onion powder
  • garlic powder
  • paprika
  • cayenne pepper
  • smoked paprika
  • dried oregano
  • dried dill
  • curry
  • turmeric
  • dried red pepper flakes
  • favorite salt-free, all-purpose seasoning (such as Spike seasoning)

27 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! Thanks for making it printable! I'm literally going to take it straight to the store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this list! I never thought to keep nuts or flax meal in the freezer! I'm excited for the menu plans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great idea! When I was newly vegan, I had to write down the items that I needed to keep stocked because it was so new and unfamiliar to me. This list will come in handy for so many people. I think you thought of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yey!!! What an amazing post! MUCH needed for me! I am so so so so bad at stocking my kitchen. I shop often, and it kills me. This was amazing. I never thought to freeze ground flax seed, but I guess I should be bc I don't use it up really fast!!!

    Thanks love!! Awesome post, definitely sharing this one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the freezer tip re: nuts and flax! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT post! Glad to have found your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome list! I've found I also use a lot more spices when cooking vegan, just because I'm making so many more different kinds of recipes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing! I love your post. Lots of these item are in our home. I would add Vital Wheat Gluten for Seitan, curry, cummin, corrainder, hemp powder for smoothies, vanilla. I buy the red wheat and white wheat berries and grind it myself. Also can make wheat salad. I love the feeling we have with eatig fresh. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great printable list of essential Vegan products to have in your pantry. You are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will definitely come in handy for tons of people! Thanks Morgy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That#s a very useful list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hehe, I'm mentally checking my pantry against your list...Nice post, I love things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cumin, coriander, and curry are my top spices, as well. Gotta have 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What??? No Xanthan Gum???? Vegan Pantry Sacrilege!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice post! I make sure to have at least 2 kinds of Miso paste and a couple of dried seaweeds on hand in addition to the Nori you already mentioned. Also organic capers and pickled peppers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the additional suggestions. Agree @Loveveggies ...love capers so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for posting this! There are some great items I totally forgot about that I need to add to my grocery list.
    Can't wait to see the menu plans you put together soon too!
    Sarah
    http://veggie-kids.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! I love seeing what ohter people have as staples. It always gives me new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Morgan! You are amazing :) I love your great idea^_^

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great list of goodies! I have most items at home, but the reminders are appreciated - also - love the idea of keeping nori and applesauce around. I'll pick that up on my next grocery run! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. although I'm not completely vegan, I still want to be mostly vegan and I appreciate posts like this! It doesn't seem that far off from what I already have on hand! Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  23. awesome list! i also keep a couple miso pastes on hand, along with dried corn for popping (ideal snack in a crunch) and braggs liquid aminos! cant live without!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have to admit I am very impressed with the quality of your blog. It is certainly a pleasure to read as I do enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. 3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by consuming Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete