Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Tempeh and black bean enchiladas with tofu cheese and red sauce



Hello hello foodies and bloggies! Happy "mid week" to you.  So one of the questions I get asked all the time is, "where do you get inspiration from when coming up with new recipes?" and my answer to that is, simply out of my own cravings I am having.  So as you can see, last week I was craving something Mexican inspired and covered in enchilada sauce.  This turned out so awesome, and totally has a "cheesy" feel to it. Its very kid friendly. If you love Chile Verde sauce (green sauce), go ahead and use that, but make sure it doesn't contain milk in it, as many do. This makes for some incredible leftovers too! Enjoy my friends!

Tempeh and black bean enchiladas with tofu cheese and red sauce 
makes about 12 large enchiladas

What you need:
2  8-ounce  packages of tempeh
 2  15-ounce  cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
5 cups of water with a splash of soy sauce
3/4 of an 8-ounce container of Tofutti vegan cream cheese
1  4-ounce can of fire roasted green chilies
 1 recipe for tofu cheese (below)
16-ounces vegan red enchilada sauce or green sauce
Whole grain tortillas
Pico de Gallo for topping
avocado for topping
cilantro for garnish

Tofu Cheese: 
1 12-ounce container extra firm tofu, drained
juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp salt
crack of fresh pepper
1 heaping cup of cilantro

Mix in the blender until smooth. set aside.


Making the enchiladas:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While the oven heats, start by making the tempeh.  In a soup pot bring the 5 cups of water to a boil. Add in about 1/2  cup of soy sauce to gently season the water. Cut the tempeh in half so that you have 4 large pieces and simmer int he water/soy sauce mixture for about 20 minutes. Take out and cool slightly. Then cut up into a small dice. 
In a bowl, mix the tempeh, black beans, tofutti cream cheese, 1/2 of the tofu cheese mixture, green chilies, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat everything well.
Using whole grain wraps (look for ones with minimal ingredients) start filling your tortillas with about 1/3 cup of the mixture. Roll up (no need to close the ends) and place in a large rectangular glass Pyrex baking dish. You will need two of these dishes to fit all your enchiladas. Spread the rest of the tofu cheese mixture over the top of the rolled tortillas, and then cover generously with red enchilada (or green) sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil for an extra 5-10 minutes until heated through. Serve with tons of fresh pico piled on top, a few sprigs of cilantro, and sliced avocado.

18 comments:

  1. Finally :-)

    So excited for this one! Black bean enchiladas are one of my favs!!! I wish I was half as creative as you when I have cravings! I love tempeh too. Never though to mix them in a Mexican dish!!! Amazing as always, friend XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the say way, I get most of my inspiration from my cravings. These enchiladas look really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are definitely going to be served at my house. I want some now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im a sucker for mexican food AND i'm always looking for new ways to serve tempeh. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look absolutely amazing!! Especially since Mexican food is my fave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't had enchiladas in years. Fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't has enchiladas in years, either! Looks delish. You are the queen of vegan comfort food, I think ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just thinking I haven't made enchiladas in awhile. And here you are with a super yummy looking enchilada! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh-this looks good! I haven't made enchiladas in a long time either and would love to try this recipe...thanks!
    Sarah
    http://veggie-kids.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love enchiladas and these looks so delicious! I am going to give these a try this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow - I'm going to have to try this enchilada recipe! This is going on the meal planner for this weekend. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've ever eaten enchiladas, what's wrong with me? I hope to have free time soon to try your recipe, then I will be an enchivirgin no more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Morgan -- this looks so good! I will try it! Also, congrats on your lasagna being on "The KindLife"! Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Morgan, I made your enchiladas tonight for Sunday dinner and everyone really loved them. They were so easy to make. We had refried beans and spanish rice. AWESOME RECIPE!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mom made these for Sunday dinner. Me and Ry both LOVED them and I had a bunch more leftovers today. Delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant, and so well timed! I've been looking for a good enchilada recipe that had easy to find ingredients so that I could make it with my dad. He loves Mexican, and is living in Germany most days, so it would be a welcome change of pace (we cook together via Skype- Ah, the wonders of technology...) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad I have found this page. I love the recipes and the knowledge. I've been a veggie for over a year, but I need some new recipes.
    Thanks!
    Suzanne
    www.inspirehealth16.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete