Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lentil wraps with sauteed vegetables and fresh herbs



Happy mid week! Ok, here is our challenge of the day: try lentils (if you havent already) . And I have the perfect way for you to do that! The simplicity of this meal in the ingredient department is exactly what I love about it. Everything is pretty much from ground to table. Lentils are an awesome power source of nutrition being high in iron and protein, containing 2 different B vitamins, high fiber, and virtually zero fat. This tiny little legume comes with a big punch. Plus, they are pretty quick and easy to cook up!  And did I mention cheap to buy?  See, thats why I love them so much!

Lentil wraps with sauteed veggies and herbs
Makes about 4-6 wraps

What you need;
Cooked and seasoned lentils (for these you will need vegan bouillon cubes)
baby spinach
1 pound fresh green beans, clean, ends trimmed
3 carrots, cut into matchsticks
2 bell peppers, cut into matchsticks
1-2 avocados, sliced
1/4 cup mint
1/4 cup parsley
ume plum vinegar
salt and pepper
whole grain wraps of choice


Making the wraps:

Cooking lentils:
Usin a few cups of lentils, rinse them sell by placing them in a large bowl. Fill the bowl with water and swish the lentils aroudn with your hand. Drain and repeat one more time.
In a medium saucepan, add the rinsed lentils, and enough water to cover them by a few inches. DO NOT SALT THE WATER. Throw in 1 Rapunzel (no salt added) brand vegan bouillon cube for every 2 cups of water used. If you cant find these just use any vegan vegetable bouillon. Cook for about 30 minutes. Until the lentils are tender.Season them with a few tsp of ume plum vinegarand pepper (to taste)

In a large saute pan, add a few Tbsp. of olive oil, and then add your green beans, carrots, and bell peppers. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and saute for about 5 minutes. 

Warm up a whole grain wrap, add 1/4 cup of lentils, some sauteed vegetables, a few slices of avocado, a few sprigs of mint and parsley, and an additional dash of ume vinegar. Add some cracked black pepper to the top a

Serve with a side of fresh berries or fruit of choice.

18 comments:

  1. This wrap looks sooo good! I love sauteed veggies in wraps and it must be delicious with the creamy avocado and fresh mint :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you KIDDING me????? Please, we need to move closer to each other so I can come over for dinner all the time. That avocado is making me DROOL! I want I want I want NOW!!!!!


    PS--heard you gave Michael some GREAT advice ;-) Good lookin' out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love how jam packed that wrap is-looks soooo good! So many wraps are so dinky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Charlie- Awwww...Thanks girl! My husband said that the fresh mint made this wrap for him. He thought it made it different and special!

    @Laury- I AGREE. If only we were not a United States apart! Than I would most definitely be catering to your hospital stay as your personal chef. lol And yeah, of course I had to let Michael know whats up! hahahaha My advice is so reliable!And will get him SO FAR in life, right??!!!

    @Kristina- I am totally with you, NO dinky wraps for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lentils and I love wraps- don't know why I never combined the two together before. Looks like a perfect weeknight dinner meal- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this wrap and cannot wait to make it. So easy, inexpensive and super fast-my kind of meal. I haven't tried ume plum vinegar, so I am excited to find it and give it a try. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so appetizing and yummy! I am totally craving it now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks very delicious. I LOVE the avocado with the lentils! Beautiful flavours!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Deb Deb- You need to have the ume plum vinegar around. its SO awesome, and so good for you. It almost adds a little saltiness to the recipe, but with health benefits! :)

    @Heahter- oh my little Hezbear...my little prego pumpkin pie. I am SO cooking some stuff for you when I see you in April! You are getting special treatment for sure!

    @Jennifer- I am with you girl, avocado to me makes EVERYTHING better. Its one of my top 5 favorite foods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lentils and Avocado = two vegan staples in a match made in heaven. Why has this not been done before?

    ReplyDelete
  11. its actually the bomb, she makes so many healthy foods that taste great, I am so lucky she is my best friend cause I get to taste her creations... :-) Morgan you are the best chief and creator ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yuuuuuuum! I bet the ume plum vinegar just makes this dish! I love that stuff.

    -whatrunslori.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. now THAT looks amazing!!

    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

    ReplyDelete
  14. Green beans and lentils sounds like an odd combination... but once you look at the delicious results - it makes sense! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, your wrap looks so awesome! Mine never look half as good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My version of it: http://plixi.com/p/91371063.
    It was TOUT À FAIT DÉLICIEUX! ;)
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete