Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Split Pea Soup



Where do us vegans get our protein? I know  I am not the only one that gets asked this! It seems to be the question of the day. I usually just smile, and tell them that my protein is hidden in so many things all over the place and not to worry, I'm getting plenty.  For instance,  the huge bowl of split pea soup I had after I made this. Did you know that there are 16g of protein in just 1 cup of cooked split peas? If that isn't great enough, one single serving also contains about 16g of dietary fiber! This soluble fiber lowers cholesterol, and helps to remove plaque from your blood vessels. Any diabetic readers out there? Well, guess what? Peas are a great food for you  that help to stabilize the blood sugar while releasing a steady amount of energy. Shall we call this Superhero split pea soup? lol  Really though, there is enough good packed in there to fight any "battle of the protein" conversation for sure! 


Split Pea Soup
serves about 4-6

What You Need;
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 carrot, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of salt and pepper
2-3 Tbsp. olive oi
8 cups of water
4 Rapunzel brand "no salt" vegetable bouillon, or any salt free vegetable bouillon.
2 cups of dried split peas
2 tsp. sea salt
pinch of black pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
 1 cup rice milk
2 Tbsp. plain ume plum vinegar
fresh parsley
crusty baguette for serving soup with

Making the soup:
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onions, celery, carrot, garlic, and pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes to soften vegetables a little. Add your water, bouillon, split peas, dried herbs, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.  The soup is done when the split peas have kind of melted away a little into the soup. At this point add in your rice milk, and ume plum vinegar. Taste and adjust any additional salt and pepper if needed to taste. Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh iItalian parsley and serve with a crusty baguette.

17 comments:

  1. The protein question is definitely one we hear a lot. And iron. My father once told me "you already get bored of always eating the same thing when you eat meat!" Well... I personally practically never eat the same thing ;).
    I love split pea soup! Yours sounds delicious! Love the mix of spices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had split pea soup last week. I love it! I was just making a batch of broccoli pasta salad and was thinking "there's protein in broccoli". I personally don't think we need nearly as much protein as everybody seems to think we do and I know I'm getting plenty with my veg lifestyle.
    I'm definitely going to try this recipe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could use a bowl of your soup right now! Not because I am lacking protein but because it sounds really, really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still here :-)

    Pea Protein!!!

    Yey!!! Michaels fav soup!!! I def need to make this if it cools off again soon! It's been so hot here lately (84 yesterday)! So excited for this recipe though!! I KNOW this will be amazing because everything you make is! I am so happy to have another option for Michael too. I am getting so bored with the VERY limited things he wants to cook, or me to cook him. It's out of control!

    Love yah!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to make this before it gets too warm for soup! There's a box of split peas on my kitchen table just waiting for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious Morgan:) I love split pea soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love split pea and your version looks divine! Great idea to add ume plum vinegar, it's my new addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of milk in Split Pea Soup before. I'll try this recipe next time I get a craving (gotta find the Ume Plum Vinegar).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ya it's definitely the question that EVERYBODY asks. "Where do Vegans get their protein?" All they need to do is do a little research! Meat is definitely not the only or best source peeps! This soup looks soooo good! I love peas. Thanks Mo thug!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think one of the greatest health advantages of being veg is that we eat a lot of legumes! Beans and peas are such unsung heroes...chock full of so any vitamins and minerals and, like you said, protein and fiber. Split pea soup is a favorite at our house and we eat it at least a few times per month. Lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this and it's really delicious but Morgan has some sort of gift for soups! I think this was the first time I actually had split pea soup too!

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, split pea soup sounds yummy right about now : ) I'll be checking in and sharing love your site and recipes Annie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never heard of that plum vinegar before! Yay, something new to have! :-) The soup looks perfect. That's one method of preparing peas that I actually like. I'm not generally a pea fan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never realized split pea soup was so darn healthy! Now I have to make this soup! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So you also get asked the dreaded "how do you get your protein" question too eh?! I actually did not know peas carried so much protein - and look forward to trying this soup. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I'm new here, and wanted to just leave a comment and say I'm excited to try a lot of your yummy recipes! I've barely started looking through past posts but already I want to try them all. Thanks!
    meri
    merigoesround.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete