Bee Free Honee!
Happy Monday! I haven't been able to post up a new recipe for a few weeks due to a broken camera but it is back and this week is bringing two new recipes, plus this awesome giveaway!
This is a small company called Bee Free Honee, and it is amazing!!! It tastes so good! It is made from apples and lemons and lightly sweetened, but it is 80% apples and the apples used are top quality! The company is still small and growing, so it isn't sold many places yet, but it is available for purchase on Amazon (and a few stores in a few states). It is delicious drizzled on oats, or on a piece of toast with a little earth balance and cinnamon, or squirted on your finger and eaten right off of it! YUM! And one of you lucky readers will get to try it out for free! And trust me, you want to try this one! I am positive you will love it!!
image from here
A few facts on bees and why we should choose alternatives to honey...
- Did you know that scientists are estimating that bees will be extinct in the US by the year 2035! This is a terrible thought! WHY?? because...
- Worldwide there are 90 different food plants that depend almost exclusively on the honey bee
- Virtually all of our non-grain food is largely dependent on honey bee pollination to a large degree
And then there is bee cruelty....
- Bees travel 55,000 miles and visit roughly 2 million flowers to produce just one pound of honey, and although polen is a bees main source of nutrition, its own honey is its only source of food during cold weather months when other alternatives are not available.
- To prevent Queen bees from leaving their hives, their wings are sometimes cut off
- large commercial companies sometimes take all of the honey, instead of leaving enough for the bees to get through the winter. The honey is then replaced with a cheap sugar substitute (and most beekeepers remove all of the spring season honey)
Things we can do to help reduce this threat to our honey bees...
- have nectar plants in your own garden so that the bees have the food that they need
- Reduce (or try to completely remove) pesticides from being used in your own garden and do not buy things grown with pesticides. Choose those products grown without!
- Choose not to buy honey or products containing honey. Instead, enjoy other sweeteners like agave nectar, brown rice syrup, pure maple syrup, and many others including Bee Free Honee!
And now on to the giveaway!
Win a FULL SIZED bottle of Bee Free Honee simply by....
- Leaving a comment below
- tweet about the giveaway
- and for any extra entries you can follow my blog, facebook page, and twitter page.
- make sure that you leave a seperate comment for each different entry above for more chances to win!
The winner will be chosen at random Friday morning, June 10th! GOOD LUCK!Also, stay tuned for two new recipes this week!!!