Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Buffalo Tempeh Salad


Hi friends! Hope you are all having a wonderful week! I am loving the sun, summer fruits, and beach lately and that's pretty much all I want to do. Sit at the beach, eat tons and tons of fruit, and soak up some vitamin d!  Does it really get any better than that?
A few upcoming things I am working on...
  • Stay tuned for an upcoming post geared towards children and healthy snacks!
  • some pre planned menu ideas for a weekly menu
  • and upcoming recipe for lentil tacos that is so yum! We loved it!!!
All exciting and fun things I am adding soon!  Until then,  you can feast your eyes and taste buds on this buffalo tempeh salad! This is spicy and fresh and a great way to introduce tempeh into your life! If serving this to young children, you can serve the baked tempeh (without the buffalo sauce) on a plate with some of my vegan ranch to dip it in along with some cut up carrots, jicama, and a little bowl of black beans.  They will love it! Give it a try  and tell me how you like it! have a great week!


Buffalo Tempeh Salad
Serves 4-6


What you will need:
1 recipe for boiled and baked crispy tempeh (recipe below)
1 recipe for buffalo sauce (recipe below)
1 recipe for vegan ranch (recipe below)

6 cups (or large handfuls) of  spinach
1/2 of a large jicama, peeled and given a small dice
2 15-ounce cans black beans (or cook your own dried beans, about 3 cups) drained and rinsed well
8-ounces of frozen corn, thawed.
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 red onion diced
1 ripe avocado, diced

Step 1: Prepare the vegan ranch
2/3 cups Veganaise (vegan mayo)
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic salt
fresh cracked pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped Italian flat leaf parsley

Whisk all ingredients will in a bowl and set aside until ready to use.

Step 2:Prepare the boiled tempeh:
1 8-ounce pkg. of tempeh
5-6 cups of water
1/4-1/2 cup soy sauce

Using a large skillet pan fill it half way up with water. Start adding enough soy sauce to make the water subtly salty, but not overly so. Just add slowly and taste the water as you go, until it is barely salty. Bring the water to a boil, and then add the tempeh. Turn the temperature down to the low and simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove the tempeh fro the water and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.

Step 3: Make the crispy tempeh
boiled tempeh from step 2
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup plain unseasoned breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Get a baking sheet ready. Dice the boiled tempeh into small bite sized pieces. Get 3 shallow plates or bowls out and in one add the almond milk. In another add the whole wheat flour mixed with the onion powder, chili powder, and garlic powder. And in the last bowl add the breadcrumbs.  Now bread the tempeh pieces by dipping in the almond milk, then the flour, then back into the milk, and then finish by dipping into the breadcrumbs. Lay the pieces on the baking sheet for baking. Bake the tempeh for 18-20 minutes until crispy on the outside. While the tempeh is baking prepare your salad.

Step 4: Prepare the salad
In a large salad bowl combine the spinach, black beans, corn, bell pepper, red onion, and avocado. 

Step 5: Making the Buffalo Tempeh
Baked crispy tempeh from step 3
1/4 cup Louisiana Hot Sauce
3 Tbsp. Earth Balance butter
1 tsp garlic powder

Melt the 3 Tbsp. of Earth Balance butter. To that add the Louisiana Hot Sauce and garlic powder.. Whisk well. Pour into a large bowl and add the tempeh. Toss to coat.

Step 6: Add buffalo tempeh to the salad
Add the tempeh to the salad and top with vegan ranch. Then take a little visit to sweet sweet salad heaven y'all. ENJOY!!!

Side Note: If serving to young children,  just don't toss their tempeh in the buffalo sauce. Serve it plain with ranch for dipping and some other dipping veggies! They will love it!!



22 comments:

  1. This salad looks amazing Morgan. Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! You and I have similar tastes when it comes to our food... I am definitely going to have to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buffalo tempeh is thee BEST!!!! Would you say your version of ranch really tastes like ranch, or a little different?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this looks fantastic. I haven't tried steaming tempeh, but have tried poaching it. I can never really get it to be super flavor infused.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES!!!!!

    I am going to a bbq Sat and totally making this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    SO EXCITED!!!!

    typing with one hand is rough lol.

    i love how colorful it is, so beautiful! And I loveee all the tempeh ideas you've been giving me...yey!!!!

    you're the bestest!!!!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds fantastic! (A lot of steps though...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That tempeh sounds sooo good. I've never breaded it before! Maybe this would be good as a sandwich too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really wish I was at the beach right now. Eating your salad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where do you buy your Veganaise? I've been looking for it everywhere and just can't seem to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an appealing way to eat tempeh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love spicy food! I have been frying way to much tempeh lately- going to try baking it this way next time. I love the crispy crust lightly frying gives it, never thought to coat it and then bake. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that looks so amazing! Never tried baking tempeh before, it looks so good crispy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks great! I love the the idea of using battered then baked tempeh - I have never prepared it that way. Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recently visited Portland and had a similar dish with tofu @ Hungry Tiger Too, and have been missing it ever since. So thank you so much for the recipe! It turned out great - I'm not a big tempeh fan but definitely like it this way. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all for your comments!

    @Mama Bea- YES! My version of Ranch is really good!!! You must try! Several people have taste tested and approved it so far!!! Give it a try and see what you think! I LOVE it!

    @Heather Iaobacci-Miller- You definitely need to steam it! it makes such a difference! I think for people who dont just love tempeh (it can be bitter) steaming tames that flavor and then with some soy sauce iti is like magic1 Works wonders on infusing it with flavor! TRY IT GIRL!

    @laury- I ALREADY know that you "taate tested and approved" this for me, and thats why i LOVE you girl!!!!! xoxo

    @Shenendoah- HAHA! I think I may have made it look like more than it really is!! Easy and not toooo many steps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Foodfeud- It would be wonderful in a sandwich!!

    @Kateshealthcorner- You can get Veganaise at Whole Foods. Henrys. And there is a vegan grocer (that is entirely vegan) where I like to get ine lso where I live. Not sure where you live but I know there are a few other grocery stores here and there that carry it also. Maybe email the company and see where they have their roducts near you?!

    @Alex- did you try it yet?! :) It is so good baked like this and then thrown in a salad! But there is always a place in my heart for fried tempeh for sure! :D

    @Chow- it is so good and crispy!! i thin kit was you that made a walnut tofu dish forever ago on your blog, and this tempeh would be awesome in it!

    @Helen- How did it turn out? Hoe you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Jesse- I hope you try it! It is so delicious! I love it prepared this way, and then thrown in salads, or my kids will just dunk it in my vegan ranch and eat them!

    @FoggyVean- I hear Portland has some of the BEST food for vegans!!!! Jealous you were there! And your welcome!!! Hope you try it!

    @HealthSeeker- Thank you Mom! Im glad you made it and taste tested it for me! xo

    @Elise- We SO have the same taste preferances!!!! See...ThATS why I love eating out with you so much!!!! Native Foods Cafe Girl!! Oh yeah!!

    @Heather T.- Thanks hezbear! i wish you lived closer so that I could bring you samples of everything!!

    @Jennifer- Thank you so much girl! And BTW, LOVEING your new profile pic! GOrgeous! Must be all that awesome vegan food you are eating!!!! :D

    @Mihl- Well, You should just come here to visit me, and I will TAKE You to the beach and we will eat some salad! haha Tahanks for stopping by! I need to head over to your blog and see what you have been up to over there in your kitchen recently!!!

    @Shaheen- Thank you so much! And thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a GREAT idea!!!! Wow, I love how you made it "buffalo" style. Genius! I've never had tempeh before...looks like I am now going to have to try it :) --Cara

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, just found your blog and am so happy I did. I need to make the recipe asap!

    ReplyDelete