Friday, June 10, 2011

Stuffed Shells with Sun-dried Tomato Tofu Ricotta, Spinach, and Garlic and Herb Tomato Sauce

Oh yeah! Stuffed shells baby!!

Happy Friday! I am so excited for the weekend! For starters, I am married to a sexy man and it is his birthday. So I need to bust out some of my baking skills and make him something delicious! Also going to hit up the beach which I always love!  I'm also pretty excited that LA is getting a new drive thru, all vegan restaurant! Definitely going to visit them and taste test! What are your plans for the weekend?

The winner of the Bee Free Honee giveaway was chosen today at random through Random.org, and the winner is  KATHY HESTER. Please contact me with your mailing information and I will mail this right out to you! You will love it!

So you are in for a treat! My stuffed shells will most definitely be a hit with your veggie and non veggie friends and family! They are so delicious, very satisfying, healthy, and for you Mom's and Dad's, they re really kid friendly! I know because not only did my kids thoroughly love making and stuffing the shells all by themselves, but they loved eating them too! It is so important to include children in the kitchen while cooking to give them skills in making and preparing healthy food! It will help them develop healthy habits and learn to enjoy preparing good meals, plus, I have found that if they help prepare the meal, they are much more likely to want to eat it and try all of the spinach and veggies they put in.  For the pasta sauce, you can definitely take the shortcut route and just buy your favorite vegan store bought brand. But its pretty easy to just whip up a sauce in the blender. Either way!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!


Stuffed Shells
with Sun-dried Tomato Tofu Ricotta, Spinach, and Garlic and  Herb Tomato Sauce

Makes about 25 Jumbo shells
printable recipe



Step 1: Sun-dried Tomato Tofu Ricotta with Spinach:
1 Pkg. Organic Extra Firm Tofu, drained and crumbled
Juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, minced
3 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
3 Tbsp. fresh basil
3 Tbsp. Italian parsley
2 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp  dried oregano
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ume plum vinegar, or red wine vinegar
fresh cracked pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil
8 ounces organic frozen spinach, thawed. Squeeze as much water out of the spinach as possible.


In a large bowl, crumble the tofu up. Add all other ingredients and mix well to incorporate. Set aside.




Step 2: Garlic and Herb Tomato sauce
1 29-ounce can Organic Tomato puree (I used Muir Glen)
3/4/ cup vegetable broth (look for no salt added)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
2 tsp. ume plum vinegar or red wine vinegar
2 tsp. dried oregano
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1/8 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried red pepper flakes (add 1/2 tsp if you like more heat)
fresh cracked pepper


In a Vitamix or regular blender add all ingredients. Blend for just a minute until incorporated and mixed well. Set aside.


Step 3: Cook the jumbo shells
Using a very large soup pot,  cook the shells until they are very Al Dente. Think of it as under cooking them slightly. You don''t want the noodles to get too soft or it will be really hard to work with them and stuff them. Once they are cooked to very Al Dente, drain the noodles. Rinse briefly with cold water to prevent them from sticking together.


kids love to help stuff the shells!

Step 4: Stuff the Shells
This is the perfect task to ask your kids to help you with!  My 5 and 7 year old thought it was so fun! First get a large Pyrex  or any large dish that you have that is oven safe. Cover the bottom of the dish with some of the sauce to cover it completely, reserving plenty of sauce to cour over the top of the shells. Fill each shell using a spoon and place in the dish. After you have stuffed all of the shells, pour the remaining sauce all over the top. Then drizzle an extra 2-3 Tbsp. of olive oil over the top.



didn't the girls do a great job stuffing these?

Step 5: Baking the shells
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Loosely cover the shells with some foil and bake for about 15 minutes. Remove the foil completely and continue to cook an additional 20-25 minutes, until all the shells are warmed and cooked and warmed entirely. 


Step 6: ENJOY
Serve the shells garnished with some extra parsley and enjoy! As you can see from this photo of my baby Ezra, this meal is very kid friendly!

My Kids loved these!

And I gotta give a shout out to my favorite little Sous Chefs!

27 comments:

  1. I can't believe you came up with such an awesome recipe! Actually I can because you are amazing! It looks sooooo good. I'm obsessed with the pictures. Cutest kids ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This recipe looks not only delicious, but fun to make. I love all the pictures with the kids helping out. They are so adorable & look like they are having a ton of fun. I will be making this recipe very soon. Have a wonderful weekend with Dave celebrating his birthday. I love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yummy! One question, do you just use regular tofu or is there tofu ricotta that you can buy? Just wondering because I have never heard of a pre-packaged tofu ricotta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sauce sounds delish and love the idea of the sundried tomatoes in the filling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are so cute what a fun way to get your kids involved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That recipe looks awesome - that's too weird though, it's my husband's birthday, we're going to the beach, and I'm in LA (and psyched about the vegan LA drive through also! :) )

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all!

    @Hannah- No, it's just regular organic extra firm tofu, you crumble it up in your hands, and then add all other ingredients which makes the homemade "tofu ricotta"

    @Jessica- How crazy is that!!! Too funny! Maybe we will run into you at the beach! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just organizing my pantry yesterday and found some shell pasta. I'm totally making these tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such cute kids! My mouth is watering again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks amazing. i love stuffed shells. you and your cute sous chefs did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did all those kids come from?! I love stuffed shells. Been really craving comfort food during this heat wave.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such cute little kids, they look like they had a blast helping! I haven't tried sun-dried tomatoes in tofu ricotta before but it sounds and looks tasty! Thanks for the recipe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My hubbie dropped a very obvious hint when he saw me reading this. He's totally a pasta guy, though I've found it hard to match our old non-veg favorites. I'm so excited to try this recipe :) YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A perfect meal! This looks absolutely delicious Morgan!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the idea of adding spinach and sun-dried tomatoes to an otherwise boring tofu ricotta! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a unique and delicious looking recipe. Definately going to try. Hope you had a good weekend and delivered a nice bday dinner.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Making these for dinner right now and just have to say that I could have eaten the tofu ricotta right out of the bowl. It smelled and tasted awesome!! I can tell this is going to be one of my all-time faves :-).

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're kiddies are GORGEOUS! Seriously, I love those pics. They could be used as stock photo for a magazine or something. They are such great little sous chefs! I bet they LOVE helping Mommy in the kitchen work her magic! I love it :-)

    I haven't had stuffed shells, in oh, I don't know...years! I used to LOVE them as a kid!!! Now that I truly have to cut out dairy and KNOW I don't want Ella eating it, seeing her reaction while breastfeeding, this will have to go in the box of recipes for the future! Heck, I may even make them sooner once I can get more than 10 minutes to make something ;-)
    Again, my dear friend, you've outdone yourself! I am so excited that you got your cam back and I get to see all these amazing new recipes! Woot Woot! XO

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great recipe. I made it the night before and then just popped it in the oven the next night. Perfect! Easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmm these sound amazing! Adorable photos too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the "shell" idea for entertaining. I made stuff like this for the first several years we were vegan because it was such an awesome, heavy, "staple" and even cheese lovers, loved it.

    Now I eat a bit lighter, but still remember the whole pasta with tofu ricotta with lots of drinking wine and sitting in front of the fire, winter memories.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made these for dinner last night and OH MY GOODNESS!! My non vegan cheese loving room mate was BLOWN AWAY! She took all of the leftovers for lunch today:) Thanks for another fabulous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look incredible! I have never tried a stuffed shells recipe because I thought it would be too time-consuming, but I love your idea of including the kids in that process! I will definitely be trying this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks so much for all of the comments! I am so glad to hear that many of you are enjoying the recipe! xo Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Morgan I made these tonight! I was pretty sure they would be good because it's one of your recipes, but I had my doubts about how flavorful tofu and spinach would be. Surprisingly they were great, totally flavorful, I'm super excited to have a healthy version of these, loved them!! So did my gramp's and he's picky :) Plus I didn't feel heavy afterwards...It was kinda ironic, without thinking about it I was eating some meat and cheese for a snack while I was making my vegan dinner ha ha

    ReplyDelete