Friday, July 22, 2011

Summer grapefruit salad with citrus vinaigrette



Is it already Friday? Really? Where has my week gone?! Not to say I am not thrilled for the weekend1 And  why? Well...I have a date night surprise for the hubby, and my all time favorite babysitter (AKA my best friend) watching our babies for the evening while we have a night out and some romance. If your house has adorable little kiddos running around all the time, you know how precious these date nights can be!! 
So whats on the agenda for today? Well, we have here what I would call a perfect summer salad! Very light, very refreshing, bright citrus summery flavors, a little crunch, some creamy avocado and tart/sweet grapefruits, and fast and easy to make with no heat. Perfect summer love going on! I thoroughly enjoyed every bite, and it left me wanting more! I served this with a simple piece of toast, and it was a wonderful light lunch or snack.
As you all probably noticed, I added a new Veggie Kids recipe earlier this week, and I am going to be incorporating many more of those. Meals that my children love! I have had a ton of requests regarding kids and getting them to eat healthy, so watch for more Veggie Kids from Mrs. Little House of Veggies.  :D
And now on to the deliciousness...



Summer grapefruit salad with citrus vinaigrette
feeds 4-6

Ingredients needed:
3 large grapefruit, peeled ad sectioned
2 tomatoes, cut into small wedges
2 avocados, sliced
Mixed organic greens, or organic spinach
1/2 cup of slivered almonds, toasted (instructions below)
Citrus Vinaigrette (recipe below)

How to toast almonds:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread almonds out onto a baking sheet and bake for about 5-8 minutes, shaking the pan once in that time to move the almonds around. As soon as you can smell them, get them out!!1 They are done and will burn very quickly!

Summer Citrus Dressing;
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1 orange
2 Tbsp. agave nectar
2 Tbsp mellow white miso paste
4 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive oil
pinch of salt and pepper

Whisk all ingredients until blended well.

Assemble your salad:
I prefer this dish plated individually. Then you can make sure each bowl gets a little bit of everything in it. Start by adding about 2 Tbsp. of the dressing into the bottom of the bowl. Add the lettuce on top, then the fruits, and a few Tbsp of almonds. Add a teeny tiny pinch of salt and pepper to the top of the salad.  Toss when ready to eat, to incorporate dressing. Enjoy!




10 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got to have a date night with Dave. You both deserve some alone time:) I love this recipe and the dressing looks so refreshing. I also like that you added a Veggie Kids category. Moms are going to love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! It looks so beautiful and colourful!

    Have a fabulous date night!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does look refreshing! I love grapefruit in salad... and the dressing looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've tried grapefruit in salad - and it sounds super delish! The summer citrus dressing sounds like it would pair so nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. avocado + grapefruit are such a terrific combo! unfortunately i can't eat the latter anymore b/c of my silly cholesterol meds :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wild combination -- Grapefruit & Avocado!

    Wilder still -- Grapefruit & Tomato.

    Avocado & Tomato, that combination I can accept.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yey for a date night!!!!You definitely deserve to have a little romantic alone time with the hubby! Such a hard working momma! I hope you guys had fun!!! I know that was one thing we said is we would make sure we got our date nights still. As we increase the tribe I am not sure how often that will happen, but glad we can still do it now!

    I have been so out of the loop here having no internet since Thursday. Boooo!!!! I am loving this salad recipe! RIGHT up my alley!!! I love the dressing. I twice bought a bunch of lemons and limes with making a citrusy dressing in mind...but never did it! Glad I have another Mo recipe to add to the box!!!!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fruit in my salad- your citrus dressing looks really good, I could see using that on lots of items.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! This is your neighbor Kathryn! Kyle told me your site! Awesome! Here is my blog theflammes.blogspot.com... love you blog!

    ReplyDelete