Monday, July 18, 2011

Veggie Kids: Ladybug Pizzas



Hello fiends! How is everyone doing?! I am doing fab. We have been busy busy busy! We are looking for new housing which I have to admit is not my cup of tea. But it must be done. :D  So send me some good house hunting vibes please!
One of the questions I get asked the most is what I feed my kids and also just requests in general for more "kid friendly" foods. I completely understand that kids can be picky, and hard to feed sometimes. But in  all honesty my kids are pretty adventurous eaters and love a wide variety of foods. I have just pretty much fed them exactly what I am eating from day 1. So if it is a  raw food dish, or salads, or sweet potato soups, sandwiches and wraps, etc.  I just give it to them. Sometimes the sandwiches and wraps can be hard for them to eat so I have found that deconstructing the dish a little gets great results with the kiddos. For instance, instead of giving them a falafal pita, I will give them the falafal balls, their pita on the side cut into triangles, some sliced cucumbers, and some tomato wedges with hummus for dipping it all in. So they are eating the exact same foods as I am, just in an easier fashion. Give kids foods that they can dip and they are happy!
One of my kids favorite things to make are these ladybug pizzas. They love them! And they love making them!  My daughter originally saw something similar to this in a Rachel Ray cookbook and wanted to make it. With some quick swaps and some changes, we had a healthier vegan version of the original. We always make them on Ezekiel Sprouted Grain English muffins which makes these even more nutritious. This is a great way to teach your kids how to cook and prepare their own healthy food and  this one is about as easy as it can be!
Stay tuned. I am going to add more frequent veggie kid friendly meals on here. Including great ways to get your kids to eat lots of kale and lots of other good tips on helping them develop good eating habits at a young age! I have some really great ideas for you! Have a wonderful meatless Monday all!!! Give these pizzas a try with your kids and they will think you are the coolest! :D Oh, and in case I forgot to mention it, these are great for us grownups too!


Veggie Kids: Ladybug Pizzas
Serves 4-6

What You Will Need:
1 bag of Ezekiel sprouted grain English muffins (these are often in the freezer section)
2 can of Eden Foods organic Pizza/Pasta sauce (or your favorite pizza sauce)
Teese or Daiya vegan cheese (or any other kind you like). We used Teese for this recipe so that we could slice it in rounds easily
tomatoes
black olives chopped fine
Garlic powder
dried oregano


To Make:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Slice through each English muffin and layer each with sauce, vegan cheese (if using), tomatoes, and olives. Place on the baking sheet and sprinkle the tops with a little additional garlic powder and dried oregano. Bake for 12-17 minutes until muffin is slightly crispy and the toppings are all warmed through.

8 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all food made with English Muffins is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really yummy and fun. I love all your ideas for kids and making food kid friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so delicious, never tasted ladybug pizza before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With a cute name like that, how can you resist this piza.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute, love the ladybug pizzas! My sister does the same deconstruct thing for her kids. They like to eat the same things as adults, it probably seems very grown up to them (instead of eating baby food). Best of luck with the housing search! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the cutest idea ever!!! You're SUCH a great momma!!! I want to come make ladybug pizzas with you all :-)

    This reminds me of my grandmother...she ALWAYS made me English Muffin pizzas at her house! I used to love them! Now I can make a healthier version with Ella Weez :-)

    I never heard of Teese Cheese? I see Daiya at Whole foods, but not teese where you can slice it. Gotta look for it and gotta get my mother in law some of each to TRY and start teaching them the alternates...even though I know they won't be too accepting. However, I need to start training everyone especially when Weez gets older!!!

    Love yah xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, first of all I have to say this recipe looks great because I LOVE the name...(perhaps 'cuz my blog and business name is Veggie-Kids..heehee). But seriously, my kids would love this one. And I can completely appreciate that you feed your kids whatever you eat. Such a great way to get them to eat/try a variety. Keep up the good work!
    Sarah
    veggie-kids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete