Monday, September 12, 2011

Pizza with creamy sunflower seed and cashew nut cheese, roasted peppers, olives and mixed greens



Hello Hello my lovelies! How is everyone? Well, considering that I am in the process of moving, and I should be packing at every chance I get, I have chosen to forgo the task at hand for my one true love...cooking up some awesome vegan food! :D  And I just had to share my newest recipe with you all! Think thin crust pizza/flatbread covered in an Italian herbed sunflower seed and cashew nut cheese, and topped with roasted red peppers, jalapeno stuffed olives, and a salad gently tossed in a light vinaigrette on top. perfection on my tongue! If you don't like spicy food, just use regular olives or kalamata olives if you like those. Either would be great. But if you do like jalps, definitely go with the jalapeno stuffed olives. I had the in-laws in town for a visit and all of my taste testers loved this! It was a perfect game day snack, cut up in to little rectangles. Use any extra sunflower seed cashew cheese on sandwiches! Hope you all have a great week!! Enjoy!!!




Pizza with sunflower seed and cashew nut cheese, roasted peppers, spicy olives and mixed greens
makes 2 baking sheet sized pizzas




Pizza Dough: (I got this pizza dough recipe from a very good friend of mine, Maria, who got it from HER sister. It is fabulous!!  After Maria made me some amazing bruschetta pizza a few weeks ago, I emailed her begging for the recipe. They were so kind to give me the dough recipe!!  I just swapped out the white flour for wheat but you can use white if you want. Also, I made my dough in a Kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook)


*you can skip this step if you want and use a pre made pizza dough*


1 1/2 c. warm water
2 tsp. dry active yeast
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
About 3 1/2 to 4 cups of white whole wheat flour, or regular white flour


Whisk the warm water, yeast and sugar together in a large mixing bowl or in a Kitchenaid. Let sit for about 5 minutes until it is bubbly and active. Add the salt and your first 2 cups of flour. Using the dough hook on the lowest speed or using a wooden spoon, mix the dough until combined. Then add another cup. and continue to mix After the 3rd cup has been added, add by the 1/2 cup. If you are not using a Kitchenaid, start kneading with your hand when the dough becomes to hard to stir. The dough should be wet but not overly sticky. you should be able to work with it without it sticking to things. You want to add as little flour as possible without it sticking to the surface. at this point,  Divide the dough into two balls and place each in their own Ziploc bag or wrap in saran wrap and place int he fridge until ready to use. If you are only making 1 pizza you can freeze the other one and then thaw before using.




Sunflower seed and cashew nut cheese
makes about 3 cups of cheese

1 C. raw cashew pieces
1 c. raw unsalted sunflower seeds
1 clove garlic
4 sundried tomatoes
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 c. fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
2 Tbsp. mellow white miso paste
2 Tbsp. dried oregano
3 tsp. ume vinegar or red wine vinegar (try to find the Ume vinegar if you can!)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2-1 tsp. salt (add slowly to taste)
pepper to taste

Soak the cashews and sunflower seed for about 1 hour. Drain and add into a vitamix blender or a regular blender. Add all other ingredients. Begin mixing and add water slowly to help it mix. Start with 1/2 cup water and from there add more as you need to help your blender mix the ingredients well.  Be careful not to add too much water and make it overly runny. You want it to stay thick and spreadable. You want this to be the consistency of a soft cheese or a hummus. Once mixed well, taste, store in a container in the fridge until ready to use.


Salad Vinaigrette:
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. Veganaise, vegan cream cheese, or about a Tbsp. of silken tofu to help make creamy)
1/2 tsp each oregano, parsley, and garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
About 1/2 cup Olive oil

In a bowl add all ingredients except Olive oil. ix, then slowly drizzle in the olive oil until creamy. Set aside until ready to use.


To make the pizzas:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Dust a baking sheet or a pizza stone with some cornmeal. on a clean surface dust a little flour and roll out your dough into either a circle (if using a pizza stone) or a rectangle (if using a baking sheet).  Transfer the dough to the baking sheet and poke the top all over with a fork to puncture and prevent bubbles.  Brush the top with about 1 Tbsp. of olive oil. then sprinkle with a pinch of garlic powder and dried oregano Bake for 12-15 minutes, until slightly golden and cooked through. Remove fro the oven and place the crust on a cutting board or other surface to cool very well.

For pizzas toppings:
sunflower seed cashew nut cheese
roasted red bell peppers (you can buy them jarred and ready to go)
Jalapeno stuffed olive (these can be found just at the regular grocery store usually)
Spring mix lettuce
Vinaigrette made earlier


Once cooled, spread pizza crust with about a 1/2 inch layer of the sunflower/cashew cheese. Next layer the roasted red bell peppers.

In a bowl toss about 4 large handfuls of mixed greens with just enough vinaigrette to coat well. Pile about 2 cups per pizza on the top. You can then either sprinkle the jalapeno stuffed olives all over ( I add them generously) or you can serve the olives on the side and people can add as they wish.

Enjoy!!!

13 comments:

  1. I'm so tired of pesto pizzas - this looks like a yummy variation! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amaaaazing!!!! I'm thinking you should whip up some delicious vegan meals like this for your preggy sister.... just a thought! ;) Seriously though, I LOVE everything you make and I've been craving it like crazy. Can't wait to see you soon! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Morgan!! I am so excited to try this:) I absolutely love the jalapeno stuffed olives too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this! And, I'll definitely opt for the jalapeno stuffed olives...deelish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited for this!!!! Like I said on FB I have been craving pizza and have been jotting down ideas for pizza recipes! I never made pizza dough before though so you are saving me the trouble from trying to test them out. I LOVE Amy's whole wheat crust and I am sure I will love yours too! SO excited...and welcome back. I've missed you!!!! Hope all is well with the packing an such!!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking pizza! The toppings sound awesome, especially those jalapeno stuffed olives and it looks so light and fresh! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a FABULOUS pizza! Glad the crust recipe came in handy, though I got it from my sister-in-law Megan. ;) I'll have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting pizza recipe! Perfect to celebrate the last days of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would need about three of those pizzas in me before I could help you move.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! This looks really good, great combo. I love the idea of putting green olives on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks SO good - I'm trying to figure out what to make for dinner tonight and this might just be it! Plus, I have a surplus of mixed greens in the fridge that need to be consumed ASAP - perfect.

    ReplyDelete