Friday, October 7, 2011

Morgans amazing Broccoli Cheese Soup



Of course, without the cheese, or the cream, or the milk.   :D   My version is soul satisfying, body nourishing and comfort food from my childhood at its best! It is exactly what I want when there is a chill in the air. If you call almost 70 degrees in southern California "a chill". haha  But I know many of you are in full blown snow heaven right now so see...I made this recipe just for you! Get cooking, get cozy, warm your belly and watch some new good movies!  Stay tuned for my next recipe! It includes an awesome giveaway, and of course something pumpkin! Watch for that,  and have a wonderful wonderful soup eating weekend!!! Until next time my friends..


Morgan's Amazing Broccoli Cheese Soup
Makes a ton! About 8 servings and is awesome for leftovers!!


What you need:
1 batch of creamy cashew cheese (recipe below)

3-4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
4 small or 2 large celery, diced
4 small or 2 large carrots, diced
pinch of salt and pepper

3 32-ounce boxes of organic vegetable broth
about 4 heaping cups of chopped broccoli florets (3 small heads of broccoli)
1 tsp salt and a crack of pepper
1/4 tsp. ground mustard

creamy cashew cheese:
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for about an hour
5 sundried tomatoes
1 cup nutritional yeast
juice of 1 small lemon
1 Tbsp. mustard
1/2 of a small jalapeno pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 cup fresh water

After you have soaked the cashews, place the nuts and all other ingredients into a Vitamix or a good blender and blend until completely smooth.


To make the soup:
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes until softened slightly. Add the celery and carrots and a pinch of salt and pepper and saute a few more minutes. Then add the vegetable broth, broccoli, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the broccoli becomes tender. While the soup is cooking make the creamy cashew cheese.
Gently blend the soup in batches in your blender or using an immersion blender, but do not over blend.. I scooped it in batches into my Vitamix blender and then just blended it for a few seconds on a very low setting. The soup should be mostly smooth but still with some very small chunks here and there and a little texture. Taste the soup at this point and then add any additional salt and pepper you need. You can serve this as is or top with store bought or freshly made croutons!







18 comments:

  1. That soup sounds like it would hit the spot! I'm in Northern CA, so my weather is just a tad wetter than yours, but this soup would warm my belly just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 70-degrees? Wow, that's like being in the midst of a frigid Orlando Winter. Brrr...

    I love soup and especially broccoli and/or asparagus soup. Lucky for me that you've provided me with a healthy version that I am able to eat.

    I'll let you know how it turns out. In the meantime... You keep the snow shovel handy, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks soooo good! Mmmm... those croutons are a perfect topping too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again an amazing recipe! Looks so good, and who needs the unhealthy version when you have this! I am yet to try something of yours that I don't LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh Morgan, you are truly my "vegan hero!" :) YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO excited for soup again! I just made a triple squash one yesterday....first of teh season!

    This. Looks. Heavenly.

    I can seriously make this ahead and tell Michael it's regular broccoli cheese....however...he knows I won't eat dairy so I need to come up with a plan to pull it off. This is one of my fav soups from back in the day. I used to make 101 cookbooks version until I went dairy free. NOW I have Mo's famous recipe to warm my belly and watch a new movie with!!!

    Thank you, genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks absolutely incredible! It is just starting to get chilly here and I have to make this now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious looking soup Morgan! I am sure it is delicious with all the broccoli and cashew cream-YUMMY:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sure does look creamy and delicious! I don't think I've ever had regular broccoli cheese soup, I'm so excited to try your vegan version. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - This looks delicious! I've been on a soup kick as of late, and I might just have to add the above in my rotation this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! I love the idea of using a nut cheese to create more creaminess!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious Morgan! Can't wait to try it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really pretty picture. Sounds quite decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks amazing! Perfect as the weather starts to turn towards fall. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Morgan. I promised to let you know what I thought after I had made a batch.

    It wasn't good. I was G-R-E-A-T!!! Delicious and sinfully nutritious. I have to keep reminding myself that the only fat is from the 1/4 of cashew in the entire "boatload" of a batch.

    You're correct that it makes allot. But, I just know that I shall be crying tears when I've emptied that very last bowl and before I've made my next batch.

    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Morgan, this soup looks really yummy. I was wondering, when you put the soup batches in the blender do you leave the cashew cheese in there? Or do you pour the cashew cheese into the soup and then put both into the blender? Also, I was curious what your favorite organic vegetable broth is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this sounds so amazing! I love the idea of stirring a cashew cheese into broccoli soup! so great! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete